1 cup self-raising flour
60g butter, chopped
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon golden syrup
ice-cream, to serve
1 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1. Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C. Lightly grease a shallow 2-litre ovenproof dish.
2. Sift flour into a large bowl. Rub butter in using fingertips until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add water and golden syrup and mix to a soft, sticky dough.
3. Divide dough into 6-8 equal portions. Mould into round dumplings. Place dumplings in prepared dish.
4. Butterscotch sauce: combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Stir over low heat until sugar has dissolved. Bring to boil. Remove from heat.
5. Pour sauce over dumplings. Bake for 20 minutes. Spoon sauce over dumplings again and cook for a further 10 minutes until dumplings are golden. Serve immediately with ice-cream.
There is little sugar in the dumplings as the sauce is very sweet.