Any favourite herbs can be added; basil, oregano etc. For extra colour, 1 tablespoon tomato paste can be added with the stock.
Serves approx 6.
3 1/2 cups beef stock
4 tablespoons plain flour
1. Remove roast meat from baking dish; keep warm. Place baking dish on top of stove, over medium heat. Bring pan drippings to boil, reduce heat, simmer until all juices in baking dish have evaporated and only fat remains. Pour off excess fat from pan, leaving approximately 6 tablespoons of fat.
2. Leave baking dish over medium heat, add flour, stir until combined with fat.
3. Reduce heat to low, continue stirring until flour is of a good brown consistency; do not allow to burn.
4. Remove baking dish from heat, add stock all at once, stirring constantly. Continue stirring until flour and stock is combined.
5. Return baking dish to medium heat, stir until sauce boils and thickens. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer sauce uncovered for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.