Lamb Shank Soup
1 Tbsp oil
2-3 lamb shanks
1 large onion, peeled and diced
500g dry soup mix
1/2 cup tomato paste or 1 can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
3-4 cups diced vegetables: carrots, potatoes (scrubbed, skin on), parsnips, turnips, corn, celery, capsicum
3 litres stock
1 Tbsp dried mixed herbs
Salt and pepper
1. Heat oil in a large pot or frypan. Add shanks and cook over a medium heat until browned on each side.
2. Put shanks in the slow cooker and add remaining ingredients.
3. Cover and cook for 4-6 hours on a high setting or 8-10 hours on a low setting. Using tongs or a fork, remove meat from bones and coarsely chop or shred. Remove bones from soup.
4. Add herbs. Taste and season, add more tomato paste and Worcestershire if required.
5. If time permits, refrigerate soup so any fat that sets on the surface can easily be removed. The flavour will only improve when soup is reheated as required.
Tip: Add diced fresh or canned tomatoes. Add parsley stems for added flavour. If left whole they are easy to remove before serving. Substitute soup mix with brown or white rice, pasta or baked beans.