Photo by Julie O’Malley
American Style Ribs
3.5kg slabs American style pork ribs
2 1/4 cups (560ml) tomato sauce
1 1/2 cupls (375ml) apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup (80ml) olive oil
1/2 cup (125ml) worcestershire sauce
3/4 cup (165g) brown sugar
1/3 cup (95g) American style mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
3 fresh small Thai chillies (optional)
3 gloves garlic (crushed)
1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
1. To make the sauce, combine ingredients in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
2. Place slabs of ribs in large deep baking dish, brush both sides with sauce. Pour remaining sauce over slabs, cover, refrigerate overnight, turning slabs occasionally in the sauce.
3. Preheat oven to moderately slow (170c). Drain slabs, reserving sauce. Divide slabs between 2 wire racks over 2 large shallow baking dishes. Roast, covered for about 1 1/2 hours, brushing with sauce every 20 minutes. Turn slabs midway through cooking time.
4. Increase oven temperature to hot (220c). Uncover slabs, roast brushing frequently with sauce until slabs are browned and cooked through, turning after 15 minutes.
5. Place remaining BBQ sauce in a small saucepan, bring to boil. Reduce heat, simmer, stirring 5 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Using scissors, cut slabs in portions of 2 or 3 ribs, serve ribs with hot BBQ sauce.