1 Tablespoon olive oil
3 garlic cloves chopped fine
1 brown onion chopped fine
1 cup dry white wine
12 vine ripened tomatoes cored and small cross cut into base
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
cracked black pepper
2 teaspoons sugar
10 basil leaves torn in half
1. Place the tomatoes in boiling salted water for 1 minute, take them out let them cool for a few minutes and then peel off the skin and discard.
2. Chop the tomatoes roughly and set aside.
3. Fry off the garlic and onion in olive oil and soft but with no colour.
4. Add in the white wine and reduce until almost evaporated.
5. Add in the tomatoes, dried basil, salt and pepper and tomato paste and bring to the simmer for 30 minutes, stirring every few minutes so that it doesn’t catch on the bottom of the sauce pan.
6. Add in the torn basil and sugar.
Makes approximately 6 cups.