Sweet Orange Pork
1/4 cup oil
2 large Spanish onions, sliced
2kg lean pork steaks, halved
1/4 cup plain flour
400g sweet potato, peeled and diced
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup sweet sherry
2 cups orange juice
2 cups chicken stock
1 tablespoon grated orange rind
1. Heat half the oil in a non-stick pan. Add onion and cook over medium heat until golden brown. Remove onion from pan and set aside.
2. Coat the meat with flour, remove any excess. Heat remaining oil in the non-stick pan, cook meat in batches over a medium heat until lightly browned.
3. Place onion, meat and sweet potato into the removable crockery bowl.
4. Melt butter in non-stick pan, stir in cumin, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, fennel seeds, brown sugar, lemon juice, sherry, orange juice, stock and rind, cook over medium heat until heated through.
5. Pour spice mixture over the meat and vegetables in the removable crockery bowl. Cover with lid and cook on Low 8-10 hours or High 4-5 hours.
Serve hot accompanied with buttered noodles and salad greens.