Photo by Julie O’Malley
Spices of the Orient Teacake
60g butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
1/3 cup (80ml) milk
20g butter, melted, extra
2 tbsp finely chopped pistachios
2 tbsp finely chopped blanched almonds
2 tbsp finely chopped pine nuts
1/4 cup (40g) icing sugar
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Grease deep 20cm-round cake pan.
- Beat butter, extract, sugar and egg in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Stir in sifted flour and milk. Spread mixture into pan.
- Bake cake 25 minutes. Stand cake in pan 5 minutes; turn, top-side up, onto wire rack.
- Meanwhile, to make spiced nuts, rinse nuts in strainer under cold water. Spread wet nuts onto oven tray, sprinkle with sifted dry ingredients. Roast in oven about 10 minutes or until dry.
- Brush cooled cake with extra butter; sprinkle with spiced nuts. Serve warm.