Speck and Split Pea Soup
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 large brown onion, finely chopped
3 sticks celery, thinly sliced
650g piece smoked speck (see note)
400g can chopped tomatoes
4 cups Campbell’s Real Stock Chicken
1 cup dried yellow split peas
1/4 cup thyme leaves
crusty bread rolls, to serve
1. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until tender. Spoon into slow cooker.
2. Remove rind from speck and discard. Cut speck into 2cm pieces and add to vegetables. Add tomatoes, stock, peas and 2 tablespoons thyme to slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until peas are very tender.
3. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into serving bowls. Sprinkle with remaining thyme and serve with crusty bread rolls.
* You could use a 650g ham bone and 125g diced bacon instead of speck.
* You can cook this recipe in a casserole dish. Preheat oven to 150°C and cook, tightly covered, for 4 hours. Alternatively, cook for 3 to 4 hours over a medium-low heat in a saucepan. Check regularly to ensure casserole doesn’t stick.