Spaghetti and Meatballs
1/4 cup olive oil
1 small brown onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tablespoons tomato paste
400g can diced tomatoes
2 cups beef stock
300g dried spaghetti pasta
parmesan cheese, finely grated and small basil leaves, to serve
500g premium beef mince
1 small brown onion, grated
1 carrot, peeled, grated
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
3/4 cup fresh multigrain breadcrumbs
125g feta cheese, finely crumbled
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup plain flour
1. Make Meatballs: Combine mince, onion, carrot, parsley, breadcrumbs, feta, egg and salt and pepper in a bowl. Mix well. Using clean hands, roll heaped tablespoonfuls of mixture into balls. Place on a plate. Place flour on a large plate. Season with salt and pepper. Roll meatballs in flour to coat.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heal. Cook meatballs, in batches, for 2 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate. Wash and dry frying pan.
3. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan and heat over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or until onion is soft. Add tomato paste. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
4. Add tomatoes and stock to pan. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 15 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Add meatballs to pan. Spoon over sauce to coat. Cover. Cook for 15 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.
5. Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in a large saucepan of boiling salted water, following packet directions, until tender. Drain Arrange spaghetti in warm serving bowls. Spoon over meatballs and sauce. Top with parmesan and basil leaves. Serve.
Recipe from Super Food Ideas Magazine (August 2005).