If you want the perfect soufflé, it’s important to prepare and fill the soufflé dishes correct to ensure maximum lift. At the restaurant we use small copper pots, but at home you can use enamel mugs or large coffee cups.
1-2 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
50g caster sugar, plus extra to sprinkle
Fruit Base (makes about 500g):
500g fresh (or frozen, then thawed) raspberries
125g caster sugar
1 Tbsp cornflour
1 Tbsp water
1. Preparing The Dishes: Brush the bases of six 250ml soufflé dishes with the softened butter then, using upward strokes, brush the sides. Chill until set, then repeat. Sprinkle dishes with sugar, knock out any excess, then chill again until needed.
2. To Make the Fruit Base: Process berries in a food processor until a smooth puree. Place puree and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Blend cornflour with 1 tablespoon water. When berry mixture reaches boiling point, reduce heat to low and whisk in cornflour mixture. Whisk for 1 minute (don’t allow to boil), then remove from heat and chill until completely cooled.
3. Preheat the oven to 170°C.
4. Using electric beaters, beat eggwhites and a pinch of salt together in a large bowl, gradually adding sugar until mixture is smooth and stiff peaks form.
5. Place 300g of fruit base in a large bowl (leftovers can be used as a berry sauce) and whisk until smooth, then mix in a little eggwhite to loosen mixture.
6. Slowly and gently fold in remaining eggwhite.
7. Use a palette knife to fill the dishes a little at a time. Start at the edges and fill by scraping up at an angle, working your way in a circle. Once the perimeter is done, fill the centre, then smooth the top with the knife. (Doing this evenly will ensure the soufflés rise evenly.) Make sure no mixture is left on the rim, as it will stick to the dish and hold back the soufflé. You can place the soufflés in the fridge for a few hours until ready to bake.
8. Place dishes on a baking tray and bake for 12-14 minutes until well-risen but still slightly wobbly when tapped. Dust with icing sugar and serve immediately.