Pie in a Spud
1/2-1 onion, chopped
500 gm lean minced lamb
1/2 cup beef stock
1/2 cup canned tomato puree
a few drops Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp tomato chutney
freshly ground salt & pepper
4 large baking potatoes, skin on & washed
1/2 cup milk
1 knob butter (optional)
grated tasty cheese
1. Heat a little oil in a large pot and gently saute onion. Add lamb and cook until coloured, breaking up with a wooden spoon.
2. Add stock, tomato puree, Worcestershire, chutney and seasonings. Mix well and cook for 15-20 mins until thick and fragrant, stirring now and again and adding more stock and puree as needed.
3. At the same time, cook potatoes in microwave on high for about 15-20 mins until tender. Cut in half and scoop most of flesh into a bowl, leaving jackets.
4. Mash potato, together with seasonings and butter.
5. Heat milk in a saucepan and add to potato, little by little, continually mashing.
7. Place potato jackets in an oven tray and partly fill with Shepherd’s Pie mix. Then top with mashed potato and cheese, and cook under preheated overhead grill until golden and bubbling.