80g whole almonds
3/4 cup plain flour
1/4 cup baking cocoa
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp mixed spice
125g fruit medley (see note)
50g mixed peel
50g each dried pineapple, pawpaw, mango, chopped
50g figs, chopped
1 cup caster sugar
200g cooking chocolate, melted
1. Preheat oven to 150c. Grease and line a 23cm cake tin.
2. Place nuts onto a baking tray; roast 15 minutes until light golden Cool.
3. Sift together flour, baking cocoa and spices into a large bowl. Add fruit medley, peel, dried fruits, figs and nuts, mix until well combined and all fruit and nuts are coated.
4. In a small, heavy based saucepan add sugar and honey, stir over low heat until sugar has dissolved (5-7 minutes). Allow to simmer 8-10 minutes without stirring. When a little mixture is dropped into cold water it should form a soft ball in the water. Remove from heat; add quickly to combined fruit mixture with cooking chocolate. Mix together, working as quickly as possible.
5. Tip mixture out onto a bench top and knead until mixture comes together. Press into a prepared tin and bake approx 50-60 minutes until cooked. Alternately press mixture into 6-8 egg rings that have been greased and placed onto a baking tray lined with non stick baking paper (do not over fill – mixture rises slightly). Bake individual Panforte 35-40 minutes at 150c. Cool. Before serving dust generously with icing sugar.
6. Wrap small Panforte and give as Christmas gifts. Cut large one into wedges and serve on a cheese and fruit board.
Note: Fruit medley is a dried fruit mix available at most supermarkets.