Lemon Meringue Pie
1 1/2 cups plain flour
3 teaspoons icing sugar
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons water, approximately
1/2 cup cornflour
1 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 1/4 cups water
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
3 egg yolks
60g unsalted butter
3 egg whites
1/2 cup caster sugar
1. Lightly grease 24cm flan tin.
2. Sift flour and icing sugar into bowl, rub in butter. Add yolk and enough water to make ingredients cling together. Press dough into ball, knead gently on floured surface until smooth; cover, refrigerate 30 minutes.
3. Roll dough on floured surface until large enough to line prepared tin. Lift pastry into tin, ease into side; trim edge.
4. Place tin on oven tray, line pastry with paper, fill with dried beans or rice. Bake in moderately hot oven 10 minutes. Remove paper and beans; bake further 10 minutes or until pastry is lightly browned. Cool.
5. Spread filling into pastry case, top with meringue. Bake in moderate oven 5 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Stand 5 minutes before serving.
Filling: Combine cornflour and sugar in pan, gradually stir in juice and water; stir until smooth. Stir over heat until mixture boils and thickens (mixture should be very thick). Reduce heat, simmer, stirring, 30 seconds. Remove from heat, quickly stir in rind, yolks and butter, stir until butter is melted; cover, cool to room temperature.
Meringue: Beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form; gradually add sugar, beating until dissolved after additions.
Serves 6 to 8
Recipe can be made a day ahead
Store: covered, in refrigerator
Freeze: not suitable
Microwave: not suitable