Lamb Shanks with Red Lentils
1 cup/200g red lentils
2 cups beef stock
2 tablespoons oil
6 large French-cut lamb shanks, trimmed of fat
1 large onion, sliced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 1/2 tablespoons Vindaloo curry paste
1 x 750ml Italian-style tomato cooking sauce
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Place lentils and stock into removable crockery bowl. Cover with lid and cook on High 1-1 1/2 hours or until tender.
2. Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add the shanks two at a time and cook over medium heat until well browned. Drain on paper towel.
3. Add onion to the non-stick pan, cook until golden brown. Stir in garlic and curry paste, cook for 1 minute. Gradually stir tomato puree into onion mixture, cook until just warmed.
4. Place lamb shanks and tomato mixture into the removable crockery bowl with lentils. Cover with lid and cook on Low 8-10 hours or High 4-6 hours.
5. Stir in the lemon juice just prior to serving.
Serve hot accompanied with pita bread, mango chutney and tomato and onion salad.