Creamy Tomato and Lentil Soup
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium Spanish onions, sliced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
3 teaspoons minced chilli
4 cups tomato puree
4 cups beef stock
1/2 cup tomato paste
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 cups/300g red lentils
1 1/4 cups/330ml cream
1/3 cup sun-dried tomato pesto
1. Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Cook onion over a medium heat until golden brown. Add garlic and chilli, cook for 1 minute.
2. Place onion mixture in the removable crockery bowl. Stir in tomato puree, stock, tomato paste, brown sugar and lentils.
3. Cover with lid and cook on Low 6-8 hours or High 4 hours.
4. Stir in cream 1/2 hour before end of cooking. Replace lid and continue cooking.
5. Ladle soup into serving bowls and top each serve with 2 teaspoons sun-dried tomato pesto.
Serve hot with crusty bread.