Gooseberry Ice Cream
500g (1 lb) gooseberries
125g (4 oz) caster sugar
2 Tablespoons water
3 egg whites
75g (3 oz) icing sugar, sifted
few drops of green food colouring
142 ml (5 f1 oz) double cream, whipped
frosted mint leaves (see below) to decorate
1. Place the gooseberries in a pan with the sugar and water. Cover and cook gently for 10 to 15 minutes until tender. Purée in a blender or food processor, then sieve. Leave to cool.
2. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then gradually whisk in the icing sugar. Fold in the purée, food colouring and cream.
3. Turn into a rigid freezerproof container, cover, seal and freeze.
4. Transfer to the refrigerator 30 minutes before serving to soften.
5. Scoop into chilled glasses and decorate with frosted mint leaves.
Serves 6 to 8
Paint egg white all over the leaves with a fine paintbrush. Brush off any excess and dip in caster sugar until completely coated. Place on greaseproof paper to dry for 1 to 2 hours.