Apple and Blackcurrant Ice Cream
250g (8 oz) cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
250g (8 oz) blackcurrants
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
4 Tablespoons water
4 eggs, separated
125g (4 oz) caster sugar
284 ml (1/2 pint) double cream, whipped
frosted currant leaves to decorate (see below)
1. Place the apples in a large pan with the blackcurrants, granulated sugar and water. Cover and cook over a gentle heat until soft.
2. Cool slightly, then work in an electric blender or food processor to make a purée. Sieve to remove pips and leave to cool completely.
3. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then gradually whisk in the caster sugar; whisk in the egg yolks. Fold the fruit purée into the cream, then fold into the egg mixture. Turn into a rigid freezerproof container, cover, seal and freeze until firm.
4. Transfer to the refrigerator 30 minutes before serving to soften.
5. Scoop into chilled glasses and decorate with frosted currant leaves.
Serves 8 to 10
Paint egg white all over the leaves with a fine paintbrush. Brush off any excess and dip in caster sugar until completely coated. Place on greaseproof paper to dry for 1 to 2 hours.