225g Self Raising Wholemeal Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
175g Caster Sugar
6 Tbsp Sunflower Oil
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
4 Tbsp Strawberry or Raspberry Jam
Icing sugar for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 180C and grease two 20cm/8 inch tins and line them with baking parchment. Set aside.
2. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl, stirring in any remaining bran from the sieve then stir in the caster sugar.
3. Add the oil, water and vanilla extract and mix well with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is smooth.
4. Divide the mixture equally between the two prepared tins and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown or until the centre of the sponge springs back when lightly touched.
5. Allow the sponges to cool before turning out and transferring to a wire rack.
6. To Serve: Remove the parchment from the sponges then place one of the sponges onto a serving plate, spread with the jam, then put the other sponge on top to sandwich it. Dust with icing sugar before serving.