Diabetic Mince Pies
1/2 cup of dried apricots
1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
6 dried figs chopped
2 apples peeled, cored and thinly sliced
juice of half a lemon
1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
1 cup of sultanas
12 prunes seeded and chopped
1/2 cup of brandy
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
1/2 cup of wholemeal flour
4 tablespoons of margarine
1 egg yolk
1 cup of plain flour
2-3 tablespoons of iced water
few drops of artificial sweetener
* Combine all filling ingredients in a saucepan, cook uncovered over low heat until apple is soft, stirring frequently to prevent sticking.
* Spoon into bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight to blend flavours.
* Sift flours into a bowl, return bran left in sieve to sifted flour, rub margarine into flour until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
* In a cup combine water, egg yolk and sweetener.
* Add flour mixture and stir.
* Turn out of a floured board, knead lightly, cover and leave to rest for 10-15 minutes.
* Roll out dough, cut 12 rounds to fit bottom of tart tins.
* Lightly grease tart tins and line bases.
* Spoon fruit mince into each.
* Wet pastry edges, place remaining pastry on top, pinch edges to seal, prick tops with a fork.
* Bake for 20 – 30 minutes.
Store extra filling in sealed jar in fridge for up to 2 weeks.