Coffee Lamington Cake
200g unsalted butter, at room temperature
215g (1 cup) caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
200g (1 1/3 cups) self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
45g (1/2 cup) desiccated coconut
2 Tbsp milk
60ml (1/4 cup) water
55g (1/4 cup) caster sugar, extra
2 tsp instant coffee
2 Tbsp coffee flavoured liqueur (such as Kahlua)
65g (1 cup) shredded coconut
Double cream, to serve
500ml (2 cups) thin cream
400g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1. To make the ganache, combine the cream and chocolate in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir with a metal spoon until chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth. Transfer to a bowl. Place in the fridge for 4 hours or until the mixture is a spreadable consistency.
2. Preheat oven to 170°C. Line two square 20cm (base measurement) cake pans with non-stick baking paper. Use an electric beater to beat the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined.
3. Sift the flour and baking powder over the butter mixture. Use a metal spoon to fold until combined. Fold in the desiccated coconut and milk. Divide among lined pans and smooth the surfaces. Bake for 30 minutes or until the surfaces are dry and cakes spring back when lightly tapped. Set aside in pans for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, combine water and extra sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar dissolves. Bring to a simmer and cook, without stirring, for 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Stir in the instant coffee and liqueur. Set aside for 30 minutes to cool completely.
5. Use a large serrated knife to cut each cake in half horizontally. Brush the cut side of each cake layer with the coffee mixture. Place 1 cake layer, cut-side up, on a plate. Spread with ganache. Repeat with remaining cake layers and ganache. Spread the top and side evenly with the remaining ganache. Sprinkle the cake with shredded coconut, pressing firmly to coat. Serve with cream, if desired.