Pumpkin, Orange and Apricot Cake
225g of peeled, chopped, steamed and mashed butternut pumpkin
Zest and juice of two oranges
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup of plain flour
1 cup of SR flour
250g unsalted butter (soft)
1 1/4 cups of castor sugar
250g dried apricots finely chopped and mixed with a tablespoon of flour (about 22 apricots)
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius, and grease and line a 23 cm round cake tin.
2. Place the orange juice into a small saucepan and heat for 8 minutes until reduced, then leave to cool.
3. Cream butter, sugar, zest and vanilla in an eclectic mixer with a paddle attachment, or using hand beaters.
4. Beat in eggs one at a time, and then add mashed pumpkin ( the mixture may appear to curdle).
5. Sift in flour and beat on low speed until combined.
6. Pour in reduced orange syrup and beat until smooth and glossy.
7. Fold in apricot pieces.
8. Transfer mixture to tin and smooth over the top, sprinkle with a handful of flaked almonds.
9. Bake for 1- 1 1/4 hours or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
10. Let cool for 5 minutes before turning out cake and glazing with honey.