Chocolate Mud Cake
125g soft vegan margarine (i.e. Nuttlex)
1 cup castor sugar
1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla essence or extract
1/2 cup Dutch cocoa
1/2 cup hot water
2 teaspoons (10ml) fresh lemon juice
1 cup soy or rice milk
1 3/4 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1. Cream margarine, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Blend the cocoa in the hot water and gradually add to the margarine/sugar mixture.
2. Add the lemon juice to the rice/soy milk to sour it.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and add it to the creamed mixture alternately with the soured milk. Mix thoroughly.
4. Spoon the cake mixture into greased and floured 8″ cake pan and bake in a moderate oven (180 deg. C) for 30-40 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly pressed.
5. Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Turn out and allow to cool before icing.