French Onion Soup
1 Tablespoon olive oil
4 large onions, finely sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 Tablespoons plain flour
1/4 cup brandy
4 cups beef stock
1 Baguette, thickly sliced
1 cup of grated Gruyere cheese or 1/2 cup parmesan
1. Heat oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, until butter is foaming. Add onion and garlic and cook, until onion has softened. Make sure it does not colour.
2. Add flour and coat onion mixture. Gradually add brandy. Cook for 2-3 minutes until alcohol has evaporated. Transfer to slow cooker and add stock.
3. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
4. Place bread on a baking tray in one layer, brush or spray with oil. Bake 5-10 minutes or until bread is crisp and lightly coloured. Top bread with cheese and cook a further 5 minutes or until cheese is melting.
5. To serve, place a slice of bread in a soup bowl, ladle in soup and top with extra cheese.