175 g (5 2/3 oz) milk-free margarine, chopped
200 g (6 1/2 oz) dark milk-free soy chocolate*, chopped
1/3 cup (30 g / 1 oz) cocoa powder, sifted
1 cup (155 g / 5 oz) lightly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/2 cup (140 g / 4 1/2 oz) apple puree
3/4 cup (90 g / 3 oz) plain flour, sifted
1. Preheat oven to 160Â°C (315Â°F/Gas 2-3). Lightly grease an 18 cm (7 in) square cake tin with a little melted milk-free margarine and line the base of the tin with baking paper.
2. Put the margarine and chocolate into a saucepan over low heat and stir until the butter and chocolate have melted. Remove and set aside to cool slightly. Transfer to a large bowl.
3. Add the cocoa, brown sugar and vanilla and mix to combine. Stir in the apple puree and flour.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the cake starts to come away from the sides of the tin. Cool in the tin before cutting into squares. Dust with pure icing sugar before serving.
* Milk-free soy chocolate is available from health food shops.