Cheese and Herb Oat Scones
1 cup (150g) self-raising flour, sifted
1.5 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup (140g) unprocessed oat bran
30g poly or monounsaturated or margarine
1/2 cup (125ml) low-fat milk
2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup (60g) grated low-fat cheddar cheese
2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
1. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, stir in the oat bran. Rub in the margarine.
2. Make a well in the centre and add the milk and half the water. Mix lightly with a knife, adding extra water if necessary, to make a soft dough. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured board and knead gently.
3. Roll out the dough to a rectangle about 1cm thick. Scatter half the cheese and all the herbs over the entire surface.
4. Beginning from a long side, roll up like a Swiss roll to make a thick sausage. Cut into 3cm slices to make little rounds.
5. Place the rounds side by side on a greased baking tray and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake in a hot oven (200Â°C / 400Â°F) for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot or cold.