Beef and Herb Puff Casserole
1 kg chuck steak
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup seasoned flour
2 onions, chopped
1 1/2 cups beef stock
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 small carrots, finely chopped
1 medium green capsicum, finely chopped
1 cup self-raising flour
60 g butter, chopped
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
1/3 cup grated Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to moderate 180°C. Trim meat of excess fat and sinew and cut in 4 cm cubes. Toss meat lightly in flour; shake off excess. Heat half the oil in a heavy-based pan. Cook meat quickly in small batches over medium-high heat for 4 minutes or until well browned; drain on absorbent paper.
2. Heat remaining oil in pan. Cook onions for 2 minutes or until brown; drain on absorbent paper. Place meat and onions in an 8-cup capacity casserole.
3. Mix together stock, Worcestershire and soy sauces. Pour over beef and onions. Cover and bake for 1 3/4 hours.
4. To Make Herb Puffs: Place flour in a bowl. Using fingertips, rub butter into flour until mixture is a fine, crumbly texture. Add milk, herbs and cheese; stir. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead for 2 minutes until smooth. Press dough with hand until 3 cm thick. Cut in 4 cm rounds.
5. Remove casserole from oven. Mix through carrots and capsicum. Place herb rounds on top of casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 180°C for 10 minutes or until puffed and golden.