Photo by Julie O’Malley
Balsamic Chicken with Crispy Mint and Pine Nuts
3 single chicken breasts, skin on
1 1/2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup white wine
1 whole sprigs mint
salt and ground black pepper
1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1/4 cup whole mint leaves, fried
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
1. Mix chicken with balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. Leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 1/2 hour, or up to 12 hours.
2. Heat oil in a large heavy fry-pan and gently cook garlic for a few seconds. Add stock, wine and whole mint sprigs. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until reduced to 1/3 of the volume. Add ginger. Remove from heat and discard mint. Sauce can be made well ahead of time and refrigerated.
3. To cook chicken, pre-heat oven to 220°C. Season marinated chicken with salt and place skin side up on a shallow baking tray and bake for 15 minutes until golden. At the end of cooking, brush any cooking juices over the skin to give it a great colour.
4. Heat sauce and add marinade from the chicken.
5. Remove chicken from oven, add to hot sauce, simmer very gently on lowest heat for 5-10 minutes. Place chicken on hot dinner plates, spoon over sauce and top with fried mint leaves and toasted pine nuts.