Apple, Oat and Sultana Muffins
6 granny smith apples, peeled and diced
2 cups oat bran
2 cups wholemeal plain flour
1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp mixed spice
1 cup sultanas
grated rind of 1 lemon
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup apple juice concentrate
3/4 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 egg whites
1. Preheat oven to 180c and lightly grease the muffin tray.
2. Cover the apple with boiling water in a bowl for 5 minutes, and then drain.
3. Place the oat bran in a bowl and sift in the flour, baking powder and spices. Mix together
4. Add the apple, sultanas and lemon rind to the dry ingredients
5. In another bowl, combine the oil, apple juice concentrate, orange and lemon juices then add to the flour and apple mixture.
6. Lightly beat the egg whites and gently fold through the mixture
7. Spoon into the muffin tray and bake for 25-30 mins or until golden brown. Remove the muffins immediately from the tray and allow to cool, covered with a tea towel, on a rack.