Italian Rolled Meat Loaf
A delicious meatloaf with a difference. Good way to get the kids to eat their spinach! Could also use pork or chicken mince.
1 kg beef mince
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon dried herbs
salt, pepper to taste
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes or capsicums, paste
1 bunch spinach, blanched and drained
150g mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
1/2 cup tomato chutney, to serve
tomatoes, to serve
basil leaves, to serve
* Preheat oven to 180Â°C.
* In a large bowl combine mince, onion, breadcrumbs, herbs, egg, salt and pepper.
* Using your hands, mix well until combined.
* Put mince in the centre of a large sheet of foil and press mince into a 25 x 30cm rectangle.
* Spread with paste, arrange spinach, then cheese slices over paste leaving 4cm gap on one of the long sides.
* Roll meatloaf into a log from the longest end, using foil as a guide. Press along edge of foil to seal and squeeze ends tightly together.
* Place on a baking tray, bake for 30 minutes.
* Carefully cut away foil and bake for another 30 minutes.
* Cut into slices and serve, hot ot cold, with chutney, tomatoes and basil.