Steamed Christmas Pudding
500g mixed dried fruit
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
90g butter or margarine
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon sherry or brandy
1/2 teaspoon bi-carbonate of soda
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup self raising flour
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
1. In a saucepan, combine mixed fruit, brown sugar, butter, water and sherry. Heat until butter is melted and mixture begins to boil.
2. Remove from heat, add bi-carbonate of soda and allow to cool completely.
3. Grease a 6 cup capacity pudding bowl.
4. Add eggs to the cooled mixture and mix until well combined. Fold through flour and spices.
5. Pour mixture into the prepared bowl, cover with a double layer of foil and tie firmly with string to form a good seal.
6. Place into the slow cooker. Pour in sufficient water to come two thirds of the way up the sides of the pudding bowl. Cover and cook on HIGH for 5-7 hours.
7. Re-heat pudding by cooking pudding in water on HIGH for 2-3 hours prior to serving. Serve with brandy custard.