1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
1 cup (150g) maize cornflour (100 percent corn)
300ml carton thickened cream
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/3 cup (80ml) strawberry jam
pure icing sugar for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to moderate (180Â°C). Grease two deep 20cm round cake pans and line the bases with baking paper.
2. Beat the eggs in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until thick. Gradually add the sugar and beat until it is dissolved.
3. Sift the cornflour three times, then sift it over the egg mixture; gently fold it into the egg mixture. Pour evenly into the prepared pans. Bake in a moderate oven for about 20 minutes or until sponges shrink from the sides of the pans. Turn the sponges immediately onto wire racks, remove lining paper and turn right way up to cool.
4. Beat the cream and vanilla in a small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Warm the jam and spread it on top of one sponge. Top with the cream, and then with the remaining sponge.
5. Decorate the top of the cake with strawberries and dust with sifted icing sugar, if desired.
Sponges suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.