Ricotta and Smoked Paprika Tart with Agrodolce Capsicum
1 pre-baked shortcrust shell, made in a 28cm tart tin
Agrodolce (Sweet and Sour) Capsicum:
1 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp pine nuts
1 1/2 Tbsp sultanas
2 large red capsicum, seeded and finely chopped
3 tsp castor sugar
1 Tbsp red-wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp smoked paprika, or to taste
60g grated parmesan
2 Tbsp shredded basil
sea salt, to taste
90g butter, melted and cooled
roasted pinenuts, for topping, optional
1. Sit tart tin with shortcrust shell on baking tray and set aside.
2. For the Agrodolce Capsicum: Heat the oil in a large frying pan with a lid over medium heat. Add the pine nuts and cook, stirring for 1-2 minutes or until they’re golden. Add the sultanas and cook for 30 seconds. Toss in the capsicum, sugar, vinegar and salt and quickly mix them together. Reduce the heat to low and simmer gently, covered for 20 minutes (there should be a tiny bit of syrup left). Let cool to room temperature (can be made in advance and kept in fridge).
3. Preheat oven 180C. For the Ricotta Filling: Put the cream into a small saucepan, then add the smoked paprika and thoroughly mix it into the cream. Place the cream over the medium heat until its hot but not boiling then remove from the heat and leave it to cool and steep.
4. Put the eggs, ricotta and parmesan into a food processor. Whiz them thoroughly. Add basil and salt, them pour in the butter and paprika infused cream and whiz again until thick and smooth.
5. Spread the capsicum over the base of the tart shell. Carefully smooth the ricotta mixture over the top. Sprinkle with pine nuts, if using.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until filling is wobbly/firm. Best served warm, not hot.