1 large onion
2 rashers bacon
2 tablespoon fresh parsley (2x20ml spoons) or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
250gm grated cheese
1/2 cup milk or cream
Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
1/2 teaspoon mixed herbs (optional)
Preheat oven to 180c.
1. Was potatoes. Peel and slice potatoes and onion very thinly.
2. Remove rind from bacon and chop finely.
3. Chop parsley.
4. Place a layer of potato in casserole dish, top with a layer of onion, bacon, and cheese and sprinkle with parsley, pepper and herbs. Repeat layering until all ingredients are used.
5. Carefully pour cream or milk over top and seal with alfoil.
6. Bake in a moderate oven until tender approx 1 hour.
Variations and Additions
– 2 stalks celery
1t crushed garlic