Photo by Julie O’Malley
Pistachio and Rosewater Cake
200g unsalted pistachio nuts, shelled
5 eggs, separated
150g caster sugar
50g pistachio nuts – extra (for the topping)
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp rosewater
1. Preheat oven 180 C. Grease and line a 20cm springform cake tin.
2. Grind 200g nuts finely in a food processor and set aside..
3. Grind the 50g nuts slightly bigger than what was used in the cake. Set aside.
4. Beat egg yolks with the caster sugar until thick and creamy. Mix in the 200g ground nuts. Put aside.
5. In a different bowl, whisk whites to stiff peaks and fold into yolk mixture.
6. Pour into cake tin and sprinkle the 50g extra chopped nuts on top. Bake for approx 45-55 mins.
7. Take the cake out of the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes; remove the collar from the tin. Using a skewer make holes all over the top, spoon the syrup over and allow it to seep in. Cool the cake and then chill covered in the fridge.
Dissolve the sugar into the water over a low in heat in a saucepan. Add lemon juice and rose water and stir to combine.