Serves 8 (makes 16 pancakes)
110g (3/4 cup) plain flour
80g (1/2 cup) plain wholemeal flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
110g (1 1/4 cups) rolled oats
560ml (2 1/4 cups) buttermilk
1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla essence
Non-stick cooking spray
375g (1 1/2 punnets) strawberries, sliced
125ml (1/2 cup) pure maple syrup to serve (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 120Â°C.
2. In a large bowl, sift together the flours, baking powder and salt, returning any husks to the bowl. Stir in the oats. Make a well in the centre of the mixture, set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggwhites with a fork until combined. Whisk in the buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Add buttermilk mixture all at once to flour mixture. Use a wooden spoon to stir until just moistened (the batter should still be a little lumpy). Cover and stand at room temperature for 15-30 minutes.
4. Lightly grease a non-stick frying pan with cooking spray. Preheat the pan over medium heat.
5. For each pancake, spoon 2 tablespoons of batter into the pan and spread carefully into a circle, about 7cm in diameter. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until bubbles appear over the surface of the pancake. Use an eggflip to turn the pancake over and cook for a further 2 minutes, or until golden underneath and cooked through. Transfer the pancake to an ovenproof plate or dish, cover with foil and place in the preheated oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter, transferring the pancakes to the plate or dish in the oven as soon as they are cooked.
6. Serve the pancakes warm with sliced strawberries and maple syrup.