French Onion Soup
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 large onions, finely sliced
1 large clove garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon plain flour
4 cups beef stock
2 tablespoons brandy
1 Baguette, thickly sliced
1 cup grated Gruyere cheese or 1/2 cup parmesan
1. Heat butter and oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook 2-3 minutes or until onion becomes transparent and soft. Make sure it does not colour.
2. Add flour and coat onion mixture. Gradually add brandy and 1 cup of stock. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until alcohol has evaporated. Transfer to slow cooker and add remaining stock.
3. Cover and cook on HIGH 3-4 hours or LOW 6-8 hours.
4. Place bread on a baking tray in one layer, brush or spray with oil. Bake 5-10 minutes or until bread is crisp and lightly coloured. Top bread with cheese and cook a further 5 minutes or until cheese has melted.
5. To serve, place a slice of bread in a soup bowl, ladle in soup and top with extra cheese.