Diabetic Christmas Pudding
1/3 cup each raisins, sultanas and currants
1 cup grated carrot, lightly packed (90g)
1/2 cup grated apple, lightly packed (50g)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup brandy
Grated rind of 2 oranges
Juice of 2 oranges made up to 1/2 cup with water
1-cup wholemeal flour
1-teaspoon baking powder
1-teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
* Place dried fruit, grated carrot and apple, and chopped walnuts in a large mixing bowl.
* Add brandy, orange rind and juice, and water.
* Add dry ingredients, eggs and oil, and mix well to combine.
* Transfer mixture into a well-greased pudding bowl of at least 1.25-litre capacity.
* Cover and steam for 2 1/2 hours.
* Leave to cool in basin and keep in refrigerator until use.
When using steam for 2 hours and serve with orange brandy custard.