Date and Walnut Muffins
150g (1 cup) chopped dates
115g (1 cup) chopped walnuts, plus 8 whole walnuts, extra
225g (1 1/2 cups) self raising flour, sifted
125ml (1/2 cup) milk
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
Icing sugar, to dust
1. Preheat oven to 180Â°C (fan-forced). Line 8 holes of a 12-hole, 1/2-cup capacity muffin tin with paper patty cases.
2. Place dates, walnuts and flour in a large bowl and combine well.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk.
4. Add the egg and milk mixture to the nut and flour mixture and stir gently until just combined.
5. Heat the butter and honey in a small saucepan over medium heat until melted and starting to bubble. Stir through the bicarbonate of soda and when the mixture bubbles remove it from the heat.
6. Pour the butter and honey over the muffin batter and stir to combine. Spoor into the prepared tin, top each muffin with a walnut and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre of the muffins comes out clean. Dust with the icing sugar to serve.