Crusty Potato Bread
Serves: 1 loaf
1 large (250g) potato, peeled
1/2 cup lukewarm milk
1/2 cup water
1 sachet (15g) dried yeast
2 tsps sugar
3 cups plain flour
1 tsp salt
40g butter or substitute
1. Boil potato until tender, drain well and mash thoroughly.
2. Combine milk and water.
3. Stir yeast and sugar into milk and water mixture.
4. Sift flour and salt, rub in butter, mix in mashed potato and combine well.
5. Pour yeast mixture into flour, work to a soft dough.
6. Turn on to a floured surface, knead lightly until smooth.
7. Place in oiled bowl, cover with cling wrap.
8. Leave in a warm place until doubled in bulk, approximately 35 minutes.
9. Knead dough into a smooth loaf shape.
10. Place in a greased 25cm loaf tin (optional).
11. Leave in a warm place until dough is level with top of tin.
12. Bake in 200C oven for 45 minutes or until cooked when tested with skewer.
13. Brush top crust lightly with melted butter.
14. Cool on a wire rack.
Note: This mixture can also be used to make bread rolls.