Coconut Tea Cake
1/2 cup caster sugar
2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
1/2 cup brewed tea, cooled
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup icing sugar, sifted
1 to 2 Tablespoons brewed tea, hot
toasted desiccated coconut, to sprinkle over icing
1. Beat butter and sugar together in a large bowl with an electric mixer until mixture is creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
2. Fold flour into creamed mixture, alternately with tea, beginning and ending with flour. Lightly mix in coconut.
3. Grease a 20cm round cake tin and line base with baking paper. Pour mixture into tin and smooth top.
4. Bake in a moderate oven (180C) for 30-35 minutes or until cooked when tested. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
5. Prepare Icing: Combine icing sugar and butter in a bowl. Mix in tea gradually until a spreading consistency is achieved. Spread evenly over cold cake. Sprinkle with toasted coconut if desired. Store in an airtight container.