Photo by A delicious. Year – Katren
Chocolate Caramel Tart
395g can sweetened condensed milk
250g block Careme dark chocolate shortcrust pastry (or 1 large sheet regular shortcrust pastry)
225g good-quality dark chocolate, roughly chopped
150ml thickened cream, plus extra whipped cream to serve (optional)
1. Remove and discard label from can, then using a can opener, make 2 small holes in the top. Place in a saucepan, open-side up. Fill pan with cold water to come almost to the top of the can (about 1cm from top). Bring to the boil, then reduce to medium-low and simmer for 3 hours until a caramel forms, topping up water to keep the same level. Carefully remove cans and cool. Scoop out caramel, then set aside.
2. Lightly grease an 11cm x 33cm loose-bottomed tart pan. Roll pastry between 2 sheets of baking paper to 5mm thick, then use to line pan. Chill for 20 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line the pastry with baking paper and pastry weights or uncooked rice. Blind-bake for 10 minutes, then remove paper and weights and bake for 5 minutes or until pastry is dry.
4. Reduce oven to 150°C. Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of gently simmering water, not letting bowl touch water. Allow to melt, then stir until smooth. Remove from heat and cool. Gently whisk eggs in a separate bowl to just combine (don’t allow to froth).
5. Heat cream and milk in a saucepan over medium heat until just below boiling point, then pour over eggs, stirring. Return to pan over low heat and stir for about 5 minutes until thick. Pour through a sieve over bowl of chocolate, stirring gently until smooth.
6. Spread three-quarters of the caramel over pastry. Pour over chocolate, then bake for 5 minutes or until just set. Leave tart in switched-off oven for 1 hour with the door closed. Remove and cool completely before slicing. If desired, stir remaining caramel through some whipped cream to serve.