2 mixing bowls
measuring cups and spoons
20 cm x 20 cm cake pan
piece of paper the size of your hand
120 ml oil
225 ml milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa or carob powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons icing sugar
1. Ask an adult to preheat the oven to 180’C.
2. Break the eggs into a mixing bowl and beat lightly.
3. Add the milk, vanilla and oil. Stir 25 times with a wooden spoon.
4. In the second bowl measure the flour, sugar, cocoa, soda and baking powder. Stir 25 times.
5. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
6. Beat quickly for 2 minutes so that the batter is smooth and light.
7. Grease the cake pan by placing a little piece of butter on the paper. Using the paper rub the butter all over the inside of the pan.
8. Carefully pour the batter into the pan.
9. Ask an adult to put the pan into the oven and let the cake bake for 35 minutes.
10. After 35 minutes the cake should be ready. Ask an adult to remove the pan from the oven and let the cake cool for 10 minutes. If the cake is not ready let it cook 5 to 10 minutes longer.
11. When the pan is cool, run a knife around the edge of the cake. Ask an adult to help you place the cake onto the cooling rack.
12. When the cake is cool sprinkle it with icing sugar and carefully move it to a cake plate.