200g plain chocolate
600g caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 large eggs
250g plain flour
4 Tbsp cocoa
1. Preheat oven to 180C, Gas 4.
2. Prepare a small rectangular roasting tin or oven proof dish approximately 8 x 12″ (20 x 30cm). Grease or line with baking paper.
3. Melt the chopped butter and chocolate over a pan of simmering water OR in a microwave. Cool slightly.
4. Stir in the sugar and vanilla.
5. Add the eggs, one at a time, stirring until well blended each time.
6. Sift the flour and cocoa together, add to the mixture and beat for about 1 minute, until smooth.
7. Pour into prepared tin, and bake for about 45 – 50 minutes. The mixture needs to be just cooked, so start testing with a cocktail stick at about 40 minutes – it should have moist crumbs, but not wet batter, still clinging to it.
8. Cool in tin until completely cold before removing from tin.