Red Wine and Garlic Slow-Cooked Lamb Shanks
2 tsp olive oil
2 Tbsp plain flour
Salt and freshly ground pepper
4 lamb shanks, trimmed
1 brown onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2/3 cup (160ml) red wine
700ml bottle Italian cooking sauce
600g Sebago (brushed) potatoes, peeled, chopped
1/3 cup (80ml) low-fat milk, warmed
250g green beans
1/3 cup chopped fresh continental parsley
1 lemon, rind finely grated
1 garlic clove, extra, crushed
1. Heat oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over a medium-high heat.
2. Season flour with salt and pepper then coat lamb in flour, shaking off excess. Add to pan and cook, turning often, for 5-6 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan. Add onion and garlic, and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened slightly.
3. Increase heat to high and add wine to pan. Cook for 2 minutes. Stir in cooking sauce and bring to a simmer. Add lamb shanks to pan. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 1 – 1 1/2 hours or until lamb is very tender. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Meanwhile, cook potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling water until tender. Drain well, mash and beat in milk. Steam beans. Combine parsley, lemon and extra garlic.
5. Divide lamb shanks and sauce among serving bowls. Top with parsley mixture. Serve with mashed potato and beans.