Recipe and Photo by Sares
6 egg whites
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon cornflour
1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
200g dark chocolate
1 punnet strawberries, sliced in half
1 cup strawberry jam
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1. Preheat oven to 150c. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
2. Place the egg whites and salt into a mixing bowl and whip until stiff.
3. Gradually add half the sugar and keep whipping until thick and glossy.
4. Fold through rest of the sugar, cornflour, vinegar and extract.
5. Divide the mixture evenly between the two trays, gently spreading it to form a 20cm round on each tray.
6. Bake for 1 hour. Do not open the oven door while cooking as this will cause the meringue to crack.
7. After an hour turn the oven off and prop the oven door open with a wooden spoon, letting the oven cool down gradually.
8. In a bowl, whip 200mls of the cream until firm peaks form.
9. Place the broken up chocolate and leftover cream in a microwave safe bowl and heat on medium for 3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until it forms a smooth consistency.
10. To assemble the lamington pavlova, place one meringue on a plate and spread with jam.
11. Arrange the strawberries on the jam and top with whipped cream.
12. Finally place the other meringue on top and spread the ganache liberally to cover. Sprinkle with shredded coconut.