Vanilla Syrup Cake
250g unsalted butter
250g caster sugar
450g ground almonds
Zest of 2 lemons
Juice of 1 lemon
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Fresh berries and cream, to serve
100g caster sugar
1 vanilla bean, split lengthways
1. Preheat oven to 170Â°C (conventional) Grease and flour a bundt or ring tin.
2. Beat the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Lightly fold in the eggs, one at a time. Add the almond meal, lemon zest and juice, polenta, baking powder and salt, and stir to combine.
3. Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for 40 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
4. To make the vanilla syrup, heat the sugar, vanilla bean and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Simmer for 5 minutes. Scrape the vanilla seeds from inside the softened pod and stir them through the syrup.
5. Turn the cooled cake onto a serving plate. Lightly prick the surface with a skewer and drizzle with the vanilla syrup. Serve with fresh berries and whipped cream.