Makes approximately 450g (1 lb) fudge
1 large heavy based saucepan
1 metal Tablespoon
1 wooden spoon
1 lightly greased shallow tin 20cm x 15cm (8in x 6in)
1 sharp knife
2 cups (450g / 1 lb) granulated sugar
3 Tablespoons water
1/4 cup (56g / 2oz) butter
2 Tablespoons golden syrup
2 cups (450ml / 3/4pt) sweetened condensed milk
3 drops vanilla essence
1. Put the sugar and the water into the saucepan and cook over a very low heat. Stir with the metal Tablespoon so that you can see when the sugar crystals have completely dissolved.
2. Add the butter and the syrup and stir very gently with the metal spoon until the butter has melted.
3. Pour in the condensed milk, raise the heat and stir with the wooden spoon until the mixture comes to the boil. Boil rapidly, stirring all the time, for 20-25 minutes.
4. Remove the pan from the cooker and place on a cold surface.
5. Add the vanilla essence and beat with the wooden spoon until the mixture thickens.
6. Pour the fudge quickly into the greased tin and leave it to cool. Mark the cooled fudge into squares with the sharp knife. When it is completely cold and firm cut into squares.