Strawberry Cream Cheese Shortcake
125g butter, softened
220g (1 cup) caster sugar, plus 2 tablespoons extra
2 eggs, lightly beaten
125g cream cheese, softened
300g (2 cups) self-raising flour, sifted
375g strawberries, hulled, halved if large
Warmed bought custard, to serve
50g chilled butter, cubed
50g (1/3 cup) plain flour
80g (1/2 cup) brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180Â°C (fan-forced). Lightly grease a 4cm deep, 20cm x 30cm (base measurement) baking tray with butter and line with non-stick baking paper.
2. Beat the butter and caster sugar with electric beaters for 2-3 minutes. Add the eggs and beat for 2 minutes.
3. Add half the cream cheese and half the self-raising flour and stir to combine. Add the remaining cream cheese and self-raising flour and gently combine. Gently fold in 200g of the strawberries. Spoon into the prepared tray.
4. To prepare the crumble, place the butter, plain flour and brown sugar in a bowl. Use your fingertips to combine until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Sprinkle over cake mixture and bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
5. Bring the remaining strawberries, extra caster sugar and 2 tablespoons water to the boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the strawberries soften but maintain their shape.
6. Serve the warm shortcake topped with the strawberries and drizzled with warm custard.