Spicy Mixed Dahl
1 cup / 200g yellow split peas
1 cup / 200g red lentils
1 cup / 200g brown lentils
4 cups vegetable stock
2 tablespoons oil
1 1/2 tablespoons black mustard seeds
2 teaspoons brown mustard seeds
2 large onions, sliced
8 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 tablespoons ground coriander seeds
2 teaspoons ground turmeric
4 small red chillies, chopped
1 x 750ml Italian-style tomato cooking sauce
2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
2/3 cup cream
1/3 cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
1. Place yellow split peas, red and brown lentils, and stock into removable crockery bowl. Cover with lid and cook on High 1-1 1/2 hours or until just tender.
2. Melt ghee in a deep pan. Add black and brown mustard seeds and cook over low heat until they start to pop. Add onions, garlic and ginger, cook over medium heat until onion is light golden brown.
3. Stir in cumin, coriander, turmeric, and chillies. Cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, tomato puree, and pepper, stir and cook until just warmed.
4. Pour tomato mixture over lentils in the removable crockery bowl. Cover with lid and cook on Low 8-9 hours or High 4-5 hours.
5. Stir in cream 1/2 hour before end of cooking. Replace lid and continue cooking.
6. Spoon into serving bowls, top with coriander.
Serve hot accompanied with steamed brown rice and Cucumber raita.