Seasoned Roast Turkey
1 x 3kg turkey
6 bacon rashers
2 tablespoons oil
1/4 cup plain flour
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup dry red wine
roast potatoes and beans to serve
fresh herbs and lemon wedges to garnish
1 large leek, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
400g sausage mince
3 cups stale breadcrumbs
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
2 teaspoons seasoned pepper
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1. Seasoning: Heat butter in a pan, add leek and garlic; cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until leek is soft. Place in a bowl; cool. Add mince, breadcrumbs, thyme, rind, pepper and eggs; mix well.
2. Discard neck and giblets from turkey. Rinse turkey under cold water; pat dry inside and out with absorbent paper. Tuck wings under body; spoon half the Seasoning loosely inside body cavity; secure opening with toothpicks. Tie legs together with kitchen string. Place turkey on a wire rack in a baking dish. Roll tablespoons of remaining Seasoning into balls. Cut bacon into long, thin strips; wrap around balls, secure with toothpicks.
3. Cook turkey, uncovered, in a moderate oven, 180Â°C, for 1 1/2 hours. Arrange Seasoning balls around turkey; cook for a further 30 minutes, or until turkey and balls are cooked.
4. Remove turkey from dish. Cover with foil; keep warm. Strain juices into a jug. Heat oil in same dish on top of the stove. Add flour; stir until browned. Add combined pan juices, stock and wine; stir over heat until gravy boils and thickens; strain into jug.
5. Serve turkey and Seasoning balls with gravy, roast potatoes, beans and Seasoning; garnish with fresh herbs and lemon wedges.